Monday, May 31, 2010

memorial day weekend whuuut

This weekend we got Monday off for Memorial Day and so some of the Ecosa kids decided to take a day trip to Jerome, AZ last Saturday. Jessica Hunt highly recommended it and Dawnielle's aunt did too, so the Whipple girls and Drew once again set off on an adventure. 
A beast on the bike...going to bike up the windy mountains road
sweeeeeeeeeet rocks
at a random view point
being goofy
Jerome! It's about 45 minutes away from Prescott and is a historic mining town literally nestled in the mountains. Quite charming. However, it's been turned into a tourist stop and was reminiscent of Helen, GA. Minus the kitschy Bavarian architecture.
bikers everywhere
Outside a historic brothel? Quite the collection.
Costa Rica?!
After lunch at a panini shop where psychic readings were offered, we decided we had seen enough of Jerome and set off for one of Drew's favorite hiking/swimming spots, Sycamore Canyon.
sycamore! (i think)
completely enchanted
almost there!
land before time
why yes, i am in that pit
close up
I totally have a "oh shiiiiiiiiiiit" face
After the 2 mile hike back. 
Comraderie! Adventure! Ecosa. --> catchy eh?
the canyon
It was an immensely satisfying day. 

Sunday we had the Ecosa class over for another potluck and OH MY GOD the food was amazing. We had vegan tamales courtesy of Monica, a delicious baked apple/currant walnut mix, apple quinoa salad, bruschetta, and some micheladas made by Nancy. And I made my first vegan dish, a chocolate cake! It was delishhhhhhous:
We spent the night chilling, listening to some banjo-mandolin-djembe jam sessions and playing with poi
And this is how I spent my Memorial Day:
SOMEHOW I burnt a pizza. It was so retarded. (It being I) I heated up the pizza in the oven, took it out and it was pristine. But since I didn't want the pizza to get cold as Nancy was making fried squash I put the pizza back in the oven forgetting that it was still on. The result? 
Burnt as expletive pizza:
Though surprisingly, Nancy's failed squash + my failed pizza tasted pretty awesome. The pizza looks a lot more burnt than in reality since the inside was still edible.
Pahahaha
On that scrumptious note, I bid you guys goodnight! Next time you hear from me I will be a veteran aboriginal survivor. Yes, that's right, our Cody Lundin survival skills class is this Wednesday - Saturday. SHOULD BE INTERESTING. I'm super stoked. 

<3

x-posted rompalime.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. First of all, this whole program seems like it's 100x cooler than you described at first. Secondly, I thought it was impossible to be in the SW for that long and NOT SEE ANY SNAKES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY MAN I've seen evidence of snakes...just no snakes. OH and a smushed snake :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love how even in little lakes the rocks around the edges are just so huge. It's such a dramatic landscape....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah...not to be a hippie but i love nature

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have seen 3 different species of snakes... ^_^
    Sheena! is whuut pronounced "wh-ut" or "woot"? haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. and the picture actually makes the pizza look delicioso!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm...vegan chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian, it's what but with a short u, DUH

    ReplyDelete