Monday, August 2, 2010

King of the Plethodon

I finished up my duties at Coweeta, stuffed my car with my belongings, and took off for home. However, I had one last task to accomplish before I could leave the mountains completely satisfied. Early in my stay, I had taken a trip to see the largest of the Plethodon (terrestrial, lungless salamanders), P. yonahlossee. The Yonahlossee Salamander is found only in the Unicoi Mountains that separate North Carolina from Tennessee, but although it has a tiny distribution, it can be amazingly abundant within that area. On my first trip, I saw a handful, but all escaped without good photographs. It left me with a bitter taste in my mouth, and I had to fix that.

So I brought a Terrapin with me this time. Rye Pale Ale, specifically. That fixed the taste, and after sunset, I headed out to find my prize. After missing the first Yonahlosee Salamander--who dove back into his burrow as I approached--I spotted this big female sitting out in the open. Beautiful.


Now I'm back home in the Hoosier State for a brief visit before driving to Athens. See y'all soon!

Love,
Todd

2 comments:

  1. So are you going to take Ecology club to find these this year? Huh, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone in Ecology Club is interested...absolutely!

    ReplyDelete