Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hello again!

So before I alluded to my current job in Atlanta. I'm interning at the CDC in the Office of Sustainability, but I don't have any pictures of my work or the people there since we aren't allowed to take photos there because of terrorism concerns. Exciting, right? Not really. I plan to sneakily take some pictures at work soon, but until I have photos I won't bore you with my job.

More exciting is that on my way back from work, I found this (apologies for the weird glow)


OMG WTF!!! I thought. Never have I seen such large and brightly colored mushrooms! Are they perhaps sulphur shelves? But no, they have gills!
I was at the time on the phone with my Dad, who immediately found his mushroom book, since mine has disappeared and I wouldn't carry it to work anyway. After 15 tense minutes we concluded that these were Jack o' Lantern mushrooms (Omphalotus olearius). I am 100% sure that's what this is. How do I know? Because the name doesn't only come from its color. (This next photo is not mine)
ITS GILLS GLOW IN THE DARK. At first all I had was my phone to take photos with, and by the time I got an actual camera out there it was getting dark, so the coloring in the photos isn't quite right. Then on the way home after first seeing these beauties, I found oyster mushroom, but it was too old and buggy to eat. Sorry for unleashing all my excitement on you, but I got back to the apartment after this discovery, and found out that no one cared. Except that I was putting something poisonous in the fridge with their food. :'( I miss you guys.

In other new, I will probably get back to Athens on the 13th, so hopefully I won't miss any of the pre-semester festivities.

2 comments: