Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My turn to be Sheena!

Today I got confused. One. I stepped on some stupid, random rusty metal object in the forest. It pierced through my boot and that biatch cut me! I thought it was a really sharp wooden stump at first and decided it just needed cleaning. After further investigation, Lieneke and I found out it was metal (thank God for magnets!). So… tetanus anyone? Get this. I have the tetanus shot but guess when it expires? July of 2010. This doesn’t mean that I would 100% have tetanus but after working in the field and letting the would fester, my hypochondriac mind got the best of me. I decided to get another tetanus shot while in Panama. Before deciding that though, I watched the Netherlands vs Uruguay game… and Netherlands won!!!! Woooo~

Ok. So, after getting to Panama city with Lieneke (I forced her to accompany me), we took a crazy taxi to the doctor’s office. Blah blah blah doctors are boring buuuut guess how much the tetanus shot was… done?

$11. That is it. OH MY. And apparently this was a private doctor aka a lot of people would not be able to afford it. This blows my mind. Comment about American health care if you will. I accept.

I think a lot of other stuff happened but we got back at around 11pm of some boat issues so, I am very tired right now.

And I am pretty sure I want my ear pierced – sidebar done.


Giulia, Lieneke and I in the picture. We are on our way to eat at Beirut!!
Me and Karin - You know how we party!
Shots!... This is actually tea.
Field equipment time!
Antenna and checkerboard. Checkerboard is for the camera traps. We use it to size the animals up later (in a photo). The antenna is used to find the radio tagged seeds.
The radio receiver is the remote thing. Input the right radio frequency into that thing.
A radio transmitter! It is on a magnet which means the radio tag is off - when an agouti moves a seed that has one of these babies attached, it leaves the magnet and turns on. Then we find it!
Camera pointed at seed... see the pink flagging tape??
camura!
Seed experiment - Line up 5 seeds in front of a camera and hope some radio collard agoutis take the seeds. one is missing!
up close and personal!
equipment. The essentials.
Don't step on this bitch.... there is a roach in my room as I am typing this sentence.
newer camera. i set this one up.
thanks. :)
Lieneke (from Holland) and Sumana (from Nepal - went to school in Virginia)
I love my teammates. They look wank but we all do when we are out there :)
moth.
Awesomer moth.
Really though. Sooo cool.
I was trying to show that this moth had transparent spots.
.... twice.. haha
When I stepped on the metal spike thing in the middle of a fucking forest. I swear it looked cooler/worse in real life!
The island gives you bunions... calluses... whatever. My feet are ruined.
Don't laugh. i was tired.
This is just on a day it was raining. Not interesting but I uploaded the wrong video haha

No comments:

Post a Comment