Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hellloooooo? Anyone out there? Come on--it's not like you're doing research, traveling across the country, or studying in Panama...

In any case, an update from Coweeta. Maerz and his grad student (Kristen) weren't around when I got here, so I took the first three days to continue my sampling for Urspelerpes. If I haven't told you before, a large part of the research is determining the "detection rate" for the species at these locations. As of right now, 1 larva in 450 traps. Yeah, fascinating.

First, some scenery from the area. The sign I pass everyday on the way back to Coweeta (it's just a few miles north of GA):

...which has made me wonder: is texting while driving or photographing while driving more dangerous? I'm pretty sure that as long as I keep my eyes on the road--through the viewfinder--it's ok.

Also, apparently there is such thing as a Jesus flag. And it's interwoven with the Amuricahn flag.


About ten miles from Coweeta (and just past the grocery) is this stand for locally-grown produce. Now I can sleep better, knowing I'm not buying any more food from the Piggly-Wiggly.

I bought a bunch of good-looking food from here today, so maybe I'll pull a Sheena and take a picture of the meal I make ;)


What, now Ecology Clubbers are allowed to own gas stations?

In honor of Grover, here's a Stinkpot that crossed the road in front of me today. Lucky for him (unlike the 2 copperheads, 1 kingsnake, 2 ratsnakes, 2 racers, 1 box turtle, 1 bullfrog, and 1 rough greensnake that I've seen dead on the road in the last few days), he crossed in front of me, and not a local in his F-250.

A cute little Ringneck I uncovered while digging through leaves for those blasted Urspelerpes today.
I was about to flip here too...before I decided to pass up this leaf-pack. Can you see why?

He's cute, but I'd rather not have his fangs latched onto my finger.


Other than that, not too much to report. I've seen a ton of cool fungi, and I locked my keys in my car at one of my fieldsites (no worries; I pried open my sunroof and fished them out with a wire that a local--who, suspiciously, had a lot of tools for breaking into cars--gave me while driving by).

Much love,
Todd


No comments:

Post a Comment